Just last month, restaurant owner Mohammad Zaman was charged with manslaughter, and ordered to serve six years in prison after one of his customers died. 38 year old Paul Wilson suffered an anaphylactic shock after eating food that had traces of nuts in at one of Mr Zaman’s restaurants – after he had been assured there were no nuts present.
Ultimately, Mohammad Zaman was found guilty of 6 food safety offences, and the fatal oversight also made headlines across the country. As the owner of 6 restaurants across York and North Yorkshire, there is no doubt that Mr Zaman should have known what he was doing – so where did it all go wrong?
Profit Before Food Safety
The crux of this case is quite simply, that nuts were included where they categorically should not have been. The reason for this was revealed to be that the restaurant in question was using a cheaper alternative – swapping almond powder for a groundnut variety. To not realise the implications of this substitute shows a complete lack of understanding when it comes to customers health and wellness.
Poor Food Hygiene Training
As well as the poor decision to substitute this key ingredient, a total lack of professionalism becomes apparent. Restaurant staff assured Mr Wilson that his meal would not contain nuts. Their lack of food and ingredients knowledge here flags up an inadequate level of training, something that ultimately and evidently Mr Zaman is responsible for.
Negligence of Customer Safety
It has also been reported that Mr Zaman was warned about the nut content in the substance he was using – a teenager had previously been taken ill at another of his restaurants with an allergic reaction. Whether for financial reasons or simply a case a negligence, his failure to rectify any concerns has led to him losing everything.
It’s Time to take Food Safety Training Seriously
Anyone who is serious about their business, should also be serious about the food hygiene and safety training of their staff, as well as themselves. More importantly, as this case shows, is the serious matter of public safety.
The best way to keep abreast of what you need to know is to take food safety training seriously. With the most reputable food hygiene training courses and health and safety courses available, easy-access learning, and multiple booking discounts, learning with NCASS will leave learners fully accredited and ready to perform at the best possible standard. Ensuring that your business continues to grow, and that your customers are in safe hands.
For more information about our courses, and how you can enrol, enquire today.